Sunday, September 18, 2005

No, B-School is not all about parties and happy hour...

I've heard this so many times. Don't people just party at lot a business school? You have no work! I so wish that were true, it would certainly improve my situation as much as any other b-school students. But in fact, we work, a LOT.

The second week of class was no better than the first. In fact, Monday was the first corporate presentation for the 2nd years, first presentation after only 3 days of class. My schedule is once again chock full of colorful blocks so I make sure I don't forget which meeting I'm supposed to be at, at what time...and most days are booked solid. One good thing though, I surely feel like a VIP.

So Monday was a late night because of this corporate presentation. It's actually quite fun, networking with the people from the company and learning their stories. Of course they only have good things to say about their firm, but they are also believable! Tuesday, I ended up skipping a corporate presentation because I had to do the computer exercise for Wednedsay's venturing class by 9PM. I opted to skip, didn't feel bad about it... things will work out in the end.

Wednesday was a hellacious day. I started off with a meeting at 9:30am about the ever-important MAC Conference. Then had a follow up meeting to discuss implications of the 9:30 meeting. After that, was class, a quick lunch, then another meeting, with the head of the Marketing Department to update him on the progress of our MAC Conference planning and secure funds from the Department. Then another class, a long 3 hour one at that. Finally at 6:30 was the MAC kick-off meeting, this went until 9PM or so, when I finally called it quits and dragged my tired ass home. There were 2 parties on Wed, I had no energy left to go...

Thankfully I only have one class on Thursday and was relatively relaxed after yet another MAC meeting about the budget, plus the ABA kick-off meeting. I find it ironic that now as a second year, I have little first years coming up to me to ask me how I do it. How do I manage to deal with classes, and be VPs of three clubs? Well, I say, you just do it! In all my wisdom. I guess I can only blame my incredibly crazy schedule on myself. I did not have to be that involved in school activities, I could have just cruised along, and gotten my MBA just fine...

But what would be the point in that? B-school is only two years. I say, make the most of it! I am a little over-extended at this point. But I love being "in the know". I have meetings with Vice Deans who know me by name, who tell me they would love to work with me and help me find jobs. I know the staff in admissions, career services, the Chazen Institute, and of course, the office of student life, and I love it. I love feeling like I am part of the school, that I'm really contributing to make it a better place, that I am really connected. So yes, I'm working, hard, but I'm also having so much fun! And that, is how I want to remember my 2 years at b-school...work hard, play hard!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home