Saturday, September 10, 2005

First week of Classes


I'm still playing catch-up on Orientation entries, but if I don't start jotting something down, I'll miss everything else!

This week was the first week of classes, we are now officially second years. The first week was really just two days. While classes started on Wednesday, GSB tried a new reorientation program on Tuesday afternoon. If it's the thought that counts, the administration sure gets points for "the thought". The program itself dragged on too long and student interest waned after the Dean gave his welcoming speech. People were leaving en mass by the end of the 2nd hour. I personally persisted, thought I did pretty much tune out by the end. The best idea was the Rececption for the Class of 2006. Drinks and good food are always the way to get the conversations flowing. I was so happy meet up and chat with people I haven't seen since then end of last semester. If reorientation is to continue the only part they should really keep is the Reception, it was definitely well received!

On Wednesday, I had two classes, Intro to Venturing and Education Consulting Leadership Lab. The professor for ITV is truly a hardass and he does not hesistate to admit to, and warn us that he is most definitely a hardass... so beware. He started of the class by showcasing the negative comments he received in his reviews from past years. Comments ranging from, "the professor is mean, and lacking in social graces" to "he needs to take a pronounciation class..." I don't fine his accent a problem at all, but it is obvious that he is anal and yes, probably mean. But a least he is honest in setting up his expectations!

Ed Consult. Lab is an unsual class. Instead of the usual lectures and cases, etc, the class is split into teams and each team consults for a Principal at a New York Public School. My Principal's school is in Jamaica, Qns, a very poor neighborhood with a large immigrant population. She has many issues that us students can help with ranging from operations to human resources management. The tough part is prioritizing where to start. I am so excited about this class! I think it will be an excellent opportunity to learn consulting skills and then apply them to a real life situation, plus give back to the community at the same time. The class is co-taught by a professor and and executive in residence who use to be a partner at McKinsey & Co, so I believe I will truly learn a lot.

As for Thursday, I had just one class, Marketing Plans Workshop. This also looks like it is going to be a great experience since the final project is a marketing plan for a company, service, start-up, etc. of our own choosing. I have some ideas but nothing final for the topic of my project, still need to brainstorm. After class, I met with Stephanie and Leslie to discuss details for the MAC conference, a meeting that took much longer than I thought it would. But we made some crucial decisions and updates, so it was worth it.

And of course, Thursday was the first HH of the year. The turn out was as tremendous as was expected. Breaking my own record, I actually stayed until midnight! The free beer was flowing and there was a lot of catching up with old clustermates, plus of course, the sharing of summer (or last spring) gossip. By the end of the night, Uris Deli was "jumping" and fresh scandals for the Bottom Line was being generated both on an off the dance floor. I learned some new things that night. 1. Miller Lite sucks, tastes like water, 2. I can drink a lot of sucky beer and not get drunk , and 3. we have a pretty darn cool first year class (lots of good looking people). I wonder if it has anything to do with the people who conducted the interviews for the incoming class...knowing some of them...I wouldn't be surprised. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home