Monday, October 17, 2005

Recruiting Sucks!

So for those people who think, once I get in to the MBA program of my dreams, I'm all set! Beware, getting in is just the beginning!

As soon as you get in, you start planning for your exit strategy, which ideally results in a high-paying, MBA-deserving job. So you thought you were competing with the so-called cream of the crop to get into the b-school, now your are competing the cream of the cream to get that ideal job.

As recruiters come on campus to interview candidate after candidate of your well qualified peers, you realize that while in the society at large, you might be cream, among the others in the Columbia MBA, you're just one other candidate. Not to mention all the other Wharton, HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Chicago GSB students that you are competing with!!

But what can one do? Me, I try to keep in mind that it's not just them evaluating me, its me evaluating them as well. If they like me, I have just as much power as they do, so first concentrate on getting them to like me. :)

With an four interviews lined up and one that I'm pushing like crazy to get, it's hard not to be somewhat cynical about the recruiting process. I know that things usually work out in the end, I do have a standing offer from my summer internship already. But as a Type-A MBA, I naturally want to seek out additional options. It is the one time in my life that I will ever possibly have recruiters knocking at my door, and the opportunity to feasibly pick one out of three of four equally fantastic jobs. Wow...I really got to work on my interviewing skills!!!

:)

1 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Good luck! It's all in your confidence :)

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home